Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Just in time for St. Patty's Day!

I actually created these cupcakes for my roommate's birthday, which happens to fall right before St. Patty's Day.  Her favorite flavor combination is chocolate and mint - which is a very fitting color combo for someone born so close to a green holiday! :)  I've been playing around with some ideas for cupcake fillings and flavor combinations, but this is the first one I've actually gotten to test out.  I'm calling this cupcake Triple Chocolate Molten Mint Madness. :)  I made a devil's food cupcake with a semi-sweet chocolate/mint ganache filling (a "molten lava" inside), let it cool a bit after baking and then dipped the top of each cupcake in a dark chocolate/mint ganache.  (I should note that I used very little mint in both the inner ganache as well as the topping since I wanted it to be just a slight hint of flavor and not overkill.  I love mint and chocolate, but mint is a flavor that can easily be ruined if overused.)  Once the ganache had set and was no longer sticky to the touch, I made a mint cream cheese icing that I used in just a small dollop (don't you love that word?! :)) on top of each cupcake.  For the finishing touch, I sprinkled each cupcake with some chopped Andes Mints and viola!  A chocolate mint lovers dream come true!

Happy Birthday, Julie! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment